Biology MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) with answers for various state exams and UPSC civil services, SSC, banking, MPSC, UPPSC, MPPSC etc. Competitive Exams. Learn and prepare Objective type Questions on Biology.
1. A group of related species which has more characteristics in common in comparison to species of other genera
Answer: (b) Genus.
Solution: The genus comprises a group of related species, which has more characteristics in common in comparison to species of other genera. For example, potato and brinjal are two different species but both belong to the genus Solanum.
2. Which one of the following is the family of Housefly?
Answer: (c) Muscidae.
Solution: The family has a group of related genera with less number of similarities. The family of Housefly is Muscidae.
3. A storehouse of collected plant specimens that are dried, pressed, and preserved on sheets is
Answer: (a) Herbarium.
Solution: The herbarium is a storehouse of collected plant specimens that are dried, pressed, and preserved on sheets. The herbarium sheets carry a label providing information about the date and place of collection, English, local and botanical name, family, collector's name, etc.
4. The nuclear membrane is absent in
Answer: (c) Monera.
Solution: The nuclear membrane is absent in Monera. The nuclear membrane is the membrane that covers the nucleus of a cell.
5. Who was the first person to give the name 'virus'?
Answer: (b) Pasteur.
Solution: The virus is a noncellular organism characterised by an inert crystalline structure outside the living cell. Once they enter and infect a cell, they take over the host cell's machinery to replicate themselves and kill the host.