Physical Geography MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) with answers for various state exams and UPSC civil services, SSC, banking, MPSC, UPPSC, MPPSC etc. Exams. Learn and prepare Objective type Questions on Physical Geography.
1. The Nebular Hypothesis regarding the origin of the earth is first proposed by
Answer: (a) Immanuel Kant.
Solution: Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher proposed the Nebular Hypothesis in his Universal Natural History and Theory of Heaven in 1755. It was revised by Laplace in 1796.
2. Which one of the following is a terrestrial planet?
Answer: (c) Mercury.
Solution: Terrestrial planets are also known as the inner planet. It is an earth-like planet made up of rock and metal with high density. Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars are terrestrial planets.
3. The process through which gases were outpoured from the interior of the earth is called
Answer: (b) Degassing.
Solution: Degassing is also known as degasification. It is the removal of gases from liquid especially water or aqueous solutions.
4. In which geological time scale was "Plant" found?
Answer: (c) Silurian
Solution: The oldest known bryophytes colonized the land during the late Silurian Period of the Paleozoic era in 408-438 million years before the present.
5. How many years before the present did life on the earth appear?
Answer: (b) 3.8 billion.
Solution: The first life on earth is believed to be evolved sometime 3.8 billion years ago. The microscopic structure closely related to present-day blue-green algae has been found in geological formations much older than some 3000 million years ago.